Monday, December 6, 2010

Reading the Bible

So I know it's been way too long since my last post, first because of exams but more recently because of an injury to my knee which I needed surgery for. After having twisted my knee I got through exams but have been pretty much stuck on the couch ever since, and now have another 2 months or so worth of holidays with not much to do, so my aim is to do lots of reading, scripture in particular.

I'll be he first to admit I'm not great when it comes to disciplining myself to read the bible every day. I go through patches, sometimes I'll get in a good routine of sitting down and reading every morning, and other times I'll go weeks without reading hardly anything. I've also found that when I am reading consistently, it's fairly random, just bits of scripture here and there, or maybe a book or two all the way through, but not much more. And there's plenty of books I've never read before.

I'm also very aware that time spent in the word should be time spent with God, but too often it tends to feel like just "something I'm spose to do" and easily miss God's word in the words.

So my goal this holidays is to change how I approach scripture, not reading it to fulfill an achievement or task which God will be pleased with, but to truly seek the voice of God through the Holy Spirit. I've just started a new reading plan and whilst I'm enjoying it I can already see that I can easily let it become a task or a duty, rather than a privilege which I look forward to.

Will let you know how I go!

http://www.facebook.com/lukefromaus
http://www.twitter.com/lukefromaus

No comments:

Post a Comment